People take certain factors into consideration when looking for a storage unit. How large of a unit do I need? Does the storage unit have drive-up access? What kind of security does the storage facility have in place? While these are important considerations, another factor can mean the difference between your items staying in pristine condition or being ruined: climate controlled storage.
What is Climate Controlled Storage?
Climate control is a special feature that helps maintain the temperature of your storage unit. Our climate controlled storage units keep temperatures between 55 and 85 degrees Fahrenheit. By storing your items in a climate controlled storage unit, you protect them from extreme temperature changes and weather damage. These units also help to prevent damage from humidity, and prevent the growth of mold and mildew.
What Items Need Climate Control?
First and foremost, all your belongings can benefit from being stored in a climate controlled storage unit. However, there are certain sensitive belongings that need climate controlled storage to maintain pristine condition.
Some items include:
- Antiques, heirlooms and collectibles
- Photos and paintings
- Musical instruments
- Leather and suede materials
- Wooden furniture
- Electronics and appliances
- Books and business documents
Other Climate Control Considerations
While the type of items you plan on storing can have a large effect on whether you need climate controlled storage, there are several other factors that play a role.
Take the following questions into consideration:
- How long are you storing your items for? The length of storage is a determining factor when choosing a unit. If you plan on using a storage unit for a year or more, you should think about investing in climate control. Belongings stored in a long-term storage unit will experience a range of seasons, and those temperature fluctuations can cause unnecessary damage if they aren’t in a climate controlled unit.
- What kind of weather do you experience in your area? Locations that experience extreme temperature fluctuations can leave items susceptible to damage. If your area has extremely cold winters and/or hot summers, choosing climate control ensures your belongings aren’t exposed to temperature fluctuations.
Many Total Storage Solutions facilities offer climate controlled storage options. Search through our locations and find a climate controlled storage unit near you!