Extreme weather conditions don’t have to spell disaster for your items in self-storage. However, if you have items you believe are temperature-sensitive, your best option is to choose a climate-controlled unit. In this article, we explain what climate-controlled storage is, how it works, and provide you with insight as to what kind of items need climate-controlled storage.
What Is Climate-Controlled Storage?
Climate-controlled storage is kept at a temperature that will preserve the value of your items year-round. This means we heat the unit in the winter and cool it in the summer, which helps keep the inside set at a more constant and moderate temperature, so your stored goods do not get damaged by heat or the cold.
One of the biggest benefits of choosing a climate-controlled unit is the peace of mind you get from knowing your items aren’t getting tarnished because of extreme weather conditions. Other benefits of choosing climate-controlled self-storage include:
- Your items are protected from extreme temperatures. With temperatures across the U.S. going from over 100 degrees in the summer to below freezing in the winter, your items could go through intense temperature fluctuations. With climate control, your items can stay safely stored at a moderate temperature throughout the year.
- Climate-controlled units often have great air quality. The air is circulated more in these types of units, causing the air quality to improve. This can decrease the chances of mold and other nasty fungi showing up on your belongings.
- They are less likely to get dust and debris inside. Because most of these units are inside a facility, there is a larger barrier between the units and the outside. This can help protect your items from getting dust and debris carried in or blown in through cracks from the outside world.
- Your items are protected from humidity. In non-climate-controlled units, it isn’t easy to keep moisture out. This can cause severe damage to any fragile items in the unit, as well as a buildup of mold. Climate-controlled units typically have less humidity and moisture inside than regular storage units.
5 Items You Should Always Store in a Climate-Controlled Unit
While there are many items you can store in non-climate-controlled units, there are some items where a moderate temperature is necessary to avoid warping, cracking, and other damages. Because of this, we recommend that the following items stay in a climate-controlled unit if you choose to put them in self storage:
If wooden furniture gets too hot, it can begin to swell or warp over time. The furniture could crack, dry out, or even shrink if it gets too cold. Keeping wooden furniture in a climate-controlled unit can ensure it isn’t damaged while it is stored. While wooden furniture specifically can get damaged by extreme temperatures, really any type of furniture can. It is also important to store leather furniture in a self storage unit to ensure it avoids damage.
Anything made of paper can get damaged by heat or moisture if it’s not stored in a climate-controlled unit. So a climate-controlled unit is necessary whether you have a valuable comic book collection or need to store your important documents. This can prevent damage to the ink or to the paper itself as it dries out and cracks.
To ensure your instruments are sounding their best, it is critical to maintain them appropriately. With extreme temperatures, these instruments can become warped or start rotting, which can negatively impact the sound it produces and the integrity of their structure. In some cases, the adhesives that hold the instrument together can melt or come undone when left in extreme temperatures for long periods of time, which can spell disaster for your prized guitar or horn. Make sure these expensive noise-makers remain safe with a climate-controlled storage unit.
You must place any art you plan to store in a climate-controlled unit. Whether they are paintings, photographs, or handmade drawings, the ink, paint, or canvas itself can become damaged if not stored in moderate temperatures. In many cases, art is an expensive asset. To protect that asset, you must place it in a climate-controlled unit.
Any type of electronic device or appliance is susceptible to damage if exposed to extreme temperatures, especially if it is for a long period of time. These electronics may include:
- Stereo equipment
- A vinyl record collection
- Appliances such as clothes washing and drying machines
- TVs and computer monitors
- Video game systems
Find Climate-Controlled Storage Near You With Total Storage Solutions
Finding the perfect storage unit doesn’t have to be a stressful process. At Total Storage Solutions, we offer climate-controlled storage in many cities across the nation, giving you the space you need with premium features at an affordable rate perfect for your budget. With secure storage facilities, convenient amenities like drive-up accessibility and packing supplies available for purchase on-site, and free moving truck rentals on the day of your move-in, we want to make sure your storage experience is a great one.
To find a climate-controlled unit near you, visit the location closest to you or fill out our contact form to learn more from our expert storage team today.